People get into Georgia car accidents every day. You may seem them on the side of the road after a fender bender. Or you may see an ambulance racing to the scene of an accident. Usually, you just thank your lucky stars that it didn’t happen to you and go about your business. The truth is, you could get into a car accident at any time. People just aren’t careful when they get behind the wheel. They text and drive or the drive too fast. Some people still drink and drive despite the fact that there are rideshare companies popping up all over the place.
There are a few things you need to do when you get into a car accident:
- Seek medical treatment immediately
- Call the police
- Contact a car accident lawyer
There are reasons why you need to seek medical treatment right away. Even if you don’t think you’re hurt, you need to go to the hospital. You could have injuries that you can’t see. You could’ve suffered a traumatic brain injury or an internal injury. Also, you need to get checked out by a doctor and make sure you’re okay.
The other reason you need medical treatment is for documentation. You may have to file suit down the road. You’ll need to prove your injuries. Your attorney will need your medical records to prove you were hurt.
When it comes to the police report, you just can’t go without one. Your attorney is going to need the information in that report. You also need to make sure the authorities are aware that there was an accident, especially if there are injuries.
If you get into a car accident, call a Georgia car accident attorney right away. He can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Why is the Police Report So Important?
You always want to call the police after a car accident. There are several reasons for this:
- You’re going to need a police report later on
- The police will check to see if any of the drivers are under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the accident
- Witnesses are more likely to speak to the police than to a stranger
- The police can check to see if the other driver has a valid license and insurance
If the other driver asks you not to call the police, don’t go along with it. They may have reasons for not wanting the police to come to the scene. Some of these reasons may include:
- They have a warrant and don’t want to get arrested
- They don’t have a valid driver’s license and insurance
- Also, they were speeding
- They’re under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the crash
- They violated traffic laws during the accident
Your Georgia car accident lawyer is going to rely on that police report to prove your case. It has information that your lawyer may not be able to get on his own. Some of the information in the police report can’t be obtained in any other way:
- Name, license, and insurance information for both drivers
- Name and contact information for witnesses
- Statements made by both drivers
- Witness statements
- Pictures of the scene, road conditions, and the vehicles
- Whether either driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident
- Information regarding any citations issued as a result of the accident
No matter how minor the accident – no matter how minor your injuries – always call the police after a car accident.
What Are the Most Common Types of Georgia Car Accidents?
Most car accidents are caused by negligence. People aren’t paying attention to the road and lose control of their car. Or, they simply drive too fast or behave recklessly. Car accident lawyers can handle all types of car accident cases.
Some of the most common types of car accidents include:
- Rear end accidents – These may be the most common type of accident. A car bumps into you at a red light. Or, they just can’t stop fast enough in bumper to bumper traffic. Although the injuries aren’t serious in rear-end accidents, you still have a right to damages.
- Head-on collisions – When drivers lose control of their car, they may end up swerving into oncoming traffic. This can cause a head-on collision. These accidents are very serious and the injuries can be quite severe.
- Texting and driving – It only takes about three (3) second to get into an accident. If you’re spending time on your phone, you can’t be paying attention to the road.
- Distracted driving – People do more than just text and drive. Distracted driving can be caused by eating, talking or changing the radio station.
- Drunk driving – Despite the fact that there are rideshare companies, people still drink and get behind the wheel. Drunk driving includes driving while under the influence of drugs. There’s no excuse for it. The injuries caused in drunk driving accidents can be fatal.
The injuries in all of these types of accidents can be serious. Your lawyer is going to need proof of your injuries to get you the compensation you deserve.
Call and Speak with a Georgia Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you need to call and speak with a Georgia car accident lawyer. You need to focus on recovering from your injuries. Let an experienced car accident lawyer focus on the legal side of things. You have better things to do than fight with insurance companies and file legal claims.
Call today and schedule your free initial consultation. This gives you a chance to ask any questions you may have. It also lets your lawyer review your case and see what it may be worth.
The consultation is absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case. The other driver is going to have an attorney working for him. You need a strong car accident lawyer working for you too.